[webkit-dev] website installation instructions correction

Jack Wootton jackwootton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 08:41:51 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2008, at 8:27 AM, Jack Wootton wrote:
>
>> On this page http://webkit.org/building/tools.html. The last
>> instruction of Step 2 is
>>
>> /*****************************************/
>> "In addition to the paths specified in step 3 of the Platform SDK
>> installation instructions, you must also add the following include
>> path. Update the Visual C++ directories in the Projects and Solutions
>> section in the Options dialog box:
>>
>> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003
>> R2\Include\mfc"
>> /*****************************************/
>>
>> This is ambiguous and confusing since 'paths' are added using the
>> 'show directories for' drop down menu.  The 'show directories for'
>> drop down menu contains the following options:
>>
>> Executable files
>> Include files
>> Reference files
>> Library files
>> Source files
>> Exclude directories
>
> You want to add it to "Include files", thus the mention of "include path". I
> agree we can make it even more clear.

There is no 'include path'  option, only 'include files'.

>> How is the reader supposed to know which option to select when adding
>> the additional path specified in Step 2?  The instruction is further
>> rendered useless because of the confusing spacing and single type face
>> used for
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003
>> R2\Include\mfc"
>
> What do you find confusing about it? I believe you should be able to cut and
> paste the string. We can use a monospace font for this path if you think it
> would help.

Perhaps this is my fault, I'm not accustomed to include strings being
anything other than file locations or directory paths.  I do not have
the directory "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows
Server 2003 R2\Include\mfc"

Is this correct?

--
Regards