[webkit-dev] How to use webkit ?

Rob Burns robburns1 at mac.com
Sat Jul 12 08:47:10 PDT 2008

On Jul 12, 2008, at 1:50 AM, Brent Fulgham wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 1:35 AM, Nemix <ereas_dre at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> What I want is to do something for iphone system and Mac OS. This
>> person
>> told me that it is better for me "to use webkit", that's why I am
>> looking
>> for webkit and try to understand what I can do, what I can take
>> because I
>> haven't developped for embedded system and I am a little lost... ^^
>
> If this is your target, you don't want to use Java.  (Er, you actually
> *can't* use Java).
>
> Instead, look into learning Cocoa and using Xcode to develop your
> application.  You can register as an iPhone developer (for free) and
> download the necessary tools.
>
> This will provide you with native access to WebKit for any rendering
> needs, as well as support for PDF and other features.
>
> I am not sure what services are available on the iPhone (and probably
> couldn't discuss them without violating NDA anyway), but I believe
> this is the most efficient means to achieving your Mac OS + iPhone
> goal.
>
> If you wish to support Windows, Linux, etc., you will need to explore
> other options.

This discussion led me to wonder whether it would be possible to
follow this approach and develop an application using the WebKit
framework on Mac OS X and iPhone and then simply require users of your
application to have Safari installed on the Windows side to make use
of the dlls on the Windows side. Are there technical problems with
such an approach? Any licensing issues?

Take care,
Rob