[webkit-dev] How to use webkit ?

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 15:50:37 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 1:35 AM, Nemix <ereas_dre at hotmail.com> wrote:
> What I want is to do something for iphone system and Mac OS. This person
> told me that it is better for me "to use webkit", that's why I am looking
> for webkit and try to understand what I can do, what I can take because I
> haven't developped for embedded system and I am a little lost... ^^

If this is your target, you don't want to use Java.  (Er, you actually
*can't* use Java).

Instead, look into learning Cocoa and using Xcode to develop your
application.  You can register as an iPhone developer (for free) and
download the necessary tools.

This will provide you with native access to WebKit for any rendering
needs, as well as support for PDF and other features.

I am not sure what services are available on the iPhone (and probably
couldn't discuss them without violating NDA anyway), but I believe
this is the most efficient means to achieving your Mac OS + iPhone
goal.

If you wish to support Windows, Linux, etc., you will need to explore
other options.

Good luck,

-Brent