[webkit-dev] How to use webkit ?

David Kilzer ddkilzer at webkit.org
Fri Jul 11 03:53:16 PDT 2008

On Fri, 7/11/08, Nemix <ereas_dre at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Brent, Gustavo and Patrick !
>
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/ixmal/archive/2008/05/introducing_jwe.html
> I have read others web page about it. But it seems to be
> for J2SE embedded
> system. Does it work with iphone for example ? Because I
> don't find

Java is not available on iPhone OS.

> Someone told me about 3 kinds of embedded systems : iphone,
> j2ME and
> android.
> What I want is to do something for iphone system and Mac
> OS. This person
> told me that it is better for me "to use webkit",
> that's why I am looking
> for webkit and try to understand what I can do, what I can
> take because I
> haven't developped for embedded system and I am a
> little lost... ^^

If you want to target iPhone OS and Mac OS X, then you need to use Cocoa (Objective-C), not Java.  You may mix in C and C++ into your project as well, but the GUI code will be Objective-C on iPhone OS (also known as "Cocoa Touch").  I'd suggest using Cocoa on OS X as well since "Carbon" (C) APIs are on their way out.

WebKit as a framework is available on Mac OS X, but not on iPhone OS at this time.  In Cocoa Touch on iPhone OS, you need to use a UIWebDocumentView for now.

> Patrick :
> > But keep in mind that it probably uses Java graphics
> which IIRC will
> > be slower than drawing in native code.
> Hmm... Maybe not the better way for developping for
> embedded system...
> But if this is one the solutions, I keep it in mind  ;)

I think you may need to do more research about the platforms you're targeting.

Dave