[webkit-dev] How to use webkit ?

Patrick Hanna phanna at email.unc.edu
Thu Jul 10 17:57:37 PDT 2008

I don't think Android is the answer either. Most of the webkit port
is very dependent on the Android OS and is not portable to other java
frameworks.

I think Brent is right when he said your question is very broad. If
you are looking to write a java app that runs on multiple systems,
JWebPane is probably what you want. But keep in mind that it probably
uses Java graphics which IIRC will be slower than drawing in native
code.

If you have a particular OS you are developing for, you need to port
the network and graphics layers if they haven't been ported to that
OS already. Then you need to use JNI to call into the native webkit
apis from java and implement the various clients to call back up into
java. For example, you could use WebCore/platform/graphics/win if
your app runs on Windows and create a WebKit/java directory for the
java interface.

I would start by looking at the various ports already done. Start
with WebCore/platform/* and WebKit/*. The Windows and Mac ports are
pretty good starting points for figuring out what you need to
implement for your system.

Hope this helps,
Patrick