[webkit-dev] renaming ASSERT macro

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Tue Jul 1 10:44:33 PDT 2008

On Jul 1, 2008, at 10:39 AM, Paul Pedriana wrote:

> IMO in an ideal world ASSERT would have a unique prefix (e.g. WTF_)
> in order to guarantee collision avoidance as WebKit is ported to
> different platforms and different usage. I can see a number of other
> places in WebKit where this practice is already done (e.g.
> WEBKIT_VIDEO_SINK, KJS_FAST_CALL, etc.). This is of course similar
> to the reason we use C++ namespaces to help avoid code collisions.

For macros used in public headers, we definitely need a unique prefix.
For macros used entirely inside WebKit, I don't think it's necessarily
the best practice. But I'm open to the possibility.

The C++ namespace issue is a bit different. Function names can
conflict at link time in ways that macro names can't, so even
functions that are not part of public interface can conflict.

     -- Darin