[webkit-dev] Regarding WebKit Support Libraries

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 20:33:02 PST 2008

Hi Alp,

On Feb 14, 2008, at 2:05 AM, Alp Toker wrote:

> Brent Fulgham wrote:
>> In the medium term, I will probably end up ripping out the
>> CFNetwork code to replace with native windows calls, though it
>> would be nice to avoid this needless work.
> The CURL http backend used by the GTK+ and Wx ports works on
> Windows, though it's not as complete as CFNetwork. It could do the
> job till the CFNetwork issues are resolved.

In light of Apple's recent notification (today) that CFNetwork would
no longer be available as open source, I think we've got to shift to
the CURL back-end.  There are really only three options I see:

1.  If license allows, take the existing APSL CFNetwork sources and
attempt to use it.  Downsides:  lots of work to achieve existing
features.  No real upside.
2.  Implement native WinInet versions of features from CFNetwork.
Downsides:  Single-platform, minimal reuse.  Not much assistance to
find problems.
3.  Use CURL library.  Benefits:  Assist in CURL development, share
code with other project targets (read:  I get to bug Alp when I have
problems).  Downside:  Mostly just the manual effort of
conditionalizing the CFNetwork code.

Of these, the only one that really seems desirable to me is the CURL
back-end.

> CFNetwork is integrated into the Win port (consider how HTTP
> resource errors are handled and passed up to the UI) so swapping it
> out for something else may have some unfortunate maintenance
> overhead (ifdefs, more platform splits, and associated build system
> changes).

Agreed, but I don't see that we have much choice at this point.

-Brent