[webkit-dev] Re: Regarding WebKit Support Libraries

Alp Toker alp at atoker.com
Thu Feb 14 02:05:39 PST 2008

Brent Fulgham wrote:

> In the medium term, I will probably end up ripping out the CFNetwork
> code to replace with native windows calls, though it would be nice to
> avoid this needless work.

The CURL http backend used by the GTK+ and Wx ports works on Windows,
though it's not as complete as CFNetwork. It could do the job till the
CFNetwork issues are resolved.

I guess a native WinINet backend could be an interesting project (and
there's probably code in SVN history that can help).

CFNetwork is integrated into the Win port (consider how HTTP resource
errors are handled and passed up to the UI) so swapping it out for
something else may have some unfortunate maintenance overhead (ifdefs,
more platform splits, and associated build system changes).