[webkit-dev] Regarding WebKit Support Libraries

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 20:41:25 PST 2008

Hi Chris,

According to Apple's website (http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.5.2/
), Core Foundation "Lite" and CFNetwork are open source under the
APSL.  However, current versions of these libraries do not seem to
actually be accessible (see http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/tarballs/apsl/
  for example).

Dr Prabhakar tells me that they are working to resolve this issue, but
as yet we have not received word as to when these libraries would
become available as APSL sources.

Even if the sources were available right now, the current license
seems to indicate that users wishing to distribute the software would
need to build it themselves.  This might be relaxed in the future (as
was done for Bonjour), but as of now it seems to be a necessary evil.

In the medium term, I will probably end up ripping out the CFNetwork
code to replace with native windows calls, though it would be nice to
avoid this needless work.

Thanks,

-Brent