[webkit-dev] Hopefully new developer

Nilesh Patil vniles at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 22:08:43 PST 2008

HI

With what i understood from ur talk and considering u r working on Gtk port - >

U want to build Webkit as engine -> It is built as shared lib in Gtk
port. U can comment GtkLauncher (or WebKitTools/GNUmakaefile.am) in
your parent make file.
This will not build GtkLauncher. In turn u now have only Library or
engine that would do rest of things for You. Then, u can write your
own program (just like GtkLauncher, for reference u can have a look at
WebKitTools/GtkLauncher/main.c) which will create and xpose
WebKitWebview pointer to this lib where all Html
will be drawn. Thisway webkit engine is seperate from GUI.

> from the GUI?  I want to create something like WebKitGtk or WebKitQT but we
> of course would call it our WebKitTalk or something.  We do have x windows
> on the device but if WebKit can run just as the engine we could remove X win
> from the device totally and just use WebKit as our web engine and create our
> own method of rendering the data.  As you might imagine we don't really care
> to much about pictures even though for web correctness we have to put in the
> graphic links and alt tags and stuff.

I hope i got u correct on this -> U really dont need to care about
this rendering part. Dont even think about modifying it unless
essential. It is very comprehensive and
calable of handling html very well. Also u r not very specific abtou
wht u need. That adds up to problem. So in short i dont understand why
u need to care about rendering engine. It will be tweaked only if u
want something like native widget support in your application.

Thanks & Regards
Niilesh