[webkit-dev] Need Help for GTK Port

Mike Emmel mike.emmel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 11:15:39 PST 2007

On 2/13/07, Krzysztof Kowalczyk <kkowalczyk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/13/07, atul <atul.mehrotra at celunite.com> wrote:
> >         We (me & shri) both have a worked on GTK+Webcore
> > (http://gtk-webcore.sourceforge.net/ ) for sometime & as we are new to
> > the current WEBKIT ToT we need someone to guide/help us for understand &
> > contribute to the latest Webkit For GDK port. This mail is an effort to
> > start a dialog with  those others who are interested to work in the same
> > direction so that we can all coordinate our resources rather than
> > working at crosspurposes.
>
> I'm currently working on gdk port with the ultimate goal of making it
> a usable browser on gtk and an easily embeddable browser gadget (i.e.
> gtkhtml replacement).
>
> My strategy is simple: fix all the issues that annoy me while using it
> as a browser and there's still plenty of those issues to go around. If
> you run gdklauncher for a while you'll see that:
> * there are drawing issues due to GraphicsContextCairo.cpp not being finished
> * mouse text selection doesn't work (either a drawing issue or mouse
> events not being hooked up properly)
> * scrollbars are not there
> * pop-up menus are not there
> * some widgets are not being drawn too well
> * it does crash often
> * networking is very basic and doesn't run in a separate thread like it should
> * plenty of "FIXME: UNIMPLEMENTED" calls
> * many javascript tests fail
> * layout tests cannot be run at all because there is no dumprendertree for gdk
> * gdk version is not hooked up to build/test infrastructure the way
> mac/qt is (i.e. build-webkit, run-javascriptcore-tests etc. scripts in
> WebKitTools\Scripts don't understand gdk build)
> * gdklauncher could be vastly improved
>
> If you want to contribute, submit a patch for any of those issues or
> find an issue that bothers you the most and fix that.

Bugs with patches exist for a lot of these issues.

In retrospect if I had been able to do a branch for the experimental work
and a stable port I would have been able to work on both.

If someone sends me a email I have a tarball of my last bakefile based webkit
with  svg support scrollbars numerous fixes to the networking cairo etc etc.

In any case good luck !