[webkit-dev] Need Help for GTK Port

Kevin Ollivier kevino at theolliviers.com
Wed Feb 14 17:10:15 PST 2007

Hi Mike,

On Feb 13, 2007, at 11:15 AM, Mike Emmel wrote:

> On 2/13/07, Krzysztof Kowalczyk <kkowalczyk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2/13/07, atul <atul.mehrotra at celunite.com> wrote:
>> >         We (me & shri) both have a worked on GTK+Webcore
>> > (http://gtk-webcore.sourceforge.net/ ) for sometime & as we are
>> new to
>> > the current WEBKIT ToT we need someone to guide/help us for
>> understand &
>> > contribute to the latest Webkit For GDK port. This mail is an
>> effort to
>> > start a dialog with  those others who are interested to work in
>> the same
>> > direction so that we can all coordinate our resources rather than
>> > working at crosspurposes.
>>
>> I'm currently working on gdk port with the ultimate goal of making it
>> a usable browser on gtk and an easily embeddable browser gadget (i.e.
>> gtkhtml replacement).
>>
>> My strategy is simple: fix all the issues that annoy me while
>> using it
>> as a browser and there's still plenty of those issues to go
>> around. If
>> you run gdklauncher for a while you'll see that:
>> * there are drawing issues due to GraphicsContextCairo.cpp not
>> being finished
>> * mouse text selection doesn't work (either a drawing issue or mouse
>> events not being hooked up properly)
>> * scrollbars are not there
>> * pop-up menus are not there
>> * some widgets are not being drawn too well
>> * it does crash often
>> * networking is very basic and doesn't run in a separate thread
>> like it should
>> * plenty of "FIXME: UNIMPLEMENTED" calls
>> * many javascript tests fail
>> * layout tests cannot be run at all because there is no
>> dumprendertree for gdk
>> * gdk version is not hooked up to build/test infrastructure the way
>> mac/qt is (i.e. build-webkit, run-javascriptcore-tests etc.
>> scripts in
>> WebKitTools\Scripts don't understand gdk build)
>> * gdklauncher could be vastly improved
>>
>> If you want to contribute, submit a patch for any of those issues or
>> find an issue that bothers you the most and fix that.
>>

> Bugs with patches exist for a lot of these issues.
>
> In retrospect if I had been able to do a branch for the
> experimental work
> and a stable port I would have been able to work on both.

FWIW, I use Mercurial to effectively create my own branch, and I put
it up on a server so that others can download/contribute, and then
just merge all those changes with the main WebKit TOT every week or
so. This allows me to move forward very quickly, and share changes
with those working on the port, and then I can submit a patch when
the port gets to a viable alpha state. The downsides are that the
initial checkout can take quite a bit of time and I don't want to
strain my own pipe so I don't want just everyone using it... ;-)

> If someone sends me a email I have a tarball of my last bakefile
> based webkit
> with  svg support scrollbars numerous fixes to the networking cairo
> etc etc.

Actually, could you forward it along to me? I'm using the CURL
ResourceManager.cpp for wx too.

Thanks,

Kevin