[webkit-dev] a question on printing: whither WSIWYG?

Rob Burns robburns1 at mac.com
Sat Oct 7 17:50:21 PDT 2006

> I disagree this has nothing to do with webkit:  Is the webkit team
> aware that when printing half of all the web pages out there the
> output looks like doodoo?
>
> Whatever the CSS, having the pages print out in a totally ugly way
> is just plain silly.    Surely using the "screen" stylesheet for
> printing is better than no stylesheet at all?
>
> I propose  that WebKit use the "screen" stylesheet for printing if
> there is no "print" stylesheet present in the source document.

I think half of all web pages out there is probably an exaggeration.
I think most authors use "all" for the media type unless they are
specifically targeting the screen. The Surfin' Safari blog had
discussed a common mistake of using device dependent units when using
the "all" media type, but I guess WebKit already adjusts for that. I
could imagine a site targeting the screen with a design really only
meant for the screen. Printing using that CSS would be worst than
falling back on the default stylesheet.

take care,
Rob