[webkit-dev] a question on printing: whither WSIWYG?

peliom at tikirobot.net peliom at tikirobot.net
Sat Oct 7 17:26:00 PDT 2006

On Oct 6, 2006, at 7:11 PM, Mike Fischer wrote:

> Am 03.10.2006 um 11:49 schrieb peliom at tikirobot.net:
>
> Well basically you are right. The stylesheet is missing when
> printing. But this seems to be a design choice. If you look at line
> 7 of the page source you will see the line:

> Well either the page is missing a stylesheet for media="print" or
> the given stylesheet should not be limited to media="screen".
> Unless of course the author wanted it this way on purpose. Using
> custom stylesheets for printing can very effectively enhance
> readability and printability of printed web pages.

Thanks for clearing this up.

> BTW. This question has nothing to do with the development of
> webkit. It would be better placed on web-dev-
> request at lists.apple.com or some other HTML/CSS forum.

Well, my apologies.  The output was so terrible I thought it was bug
in webkit.

I disagree this has nothing to do with webkit:  Is the webkit team
aware that when printing half of all the web pages out there the
output looks like doodoo?

Whatever the CSS, having the pages print out in a totally ugly way is
just plain silly.    Surely using the "screen" stylesheet for
printing is better than no stylesheet at all?

I propose  that WebKit use the "screen" stylesheet for printing if
there is no "print" stylesheet present in the source document.

.pj.