[webkit-dev] Important missing bits in SVG support

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Nov 20 16:27:25 PST 2006

Hi Andreas,

On Nov 20, 2006, at 1:36 PM, Andreas Neumann wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am an active SVG developer and am following Webkit's progress
> regarding SVG for a while. I think it is soon at a state where it
> can be used for many SVG projects - not yet complete and bug free,
> but already usable. I am also happy to see that one can convert
> SVGs to PDF using Webkit - great! Thanks for your great work on the
> SVG support!
>
> Some of my work can be seen at http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/
> samples/ - note that all examples that run in Opera/Batik/Firefox
> are standard compliant, while some of the older or more complex
> examples might only work in ASV (I am working to fix these as well).

It's great to have an experienced SVG content author looking at our
code, and we've already looked at some of those examples to find
potential problems.

> I would like to share a list of missing features with you, that I
> would need to get most of my examples working in Webkit:
>
> * dynamic creation of use elements does not yet work: see http://
> www.carto.net/papers/svg/manipulating_svg_with_dom_ecmascript/
> create_elements.svg (try the dynamic creation for <use/> elements)
> * support for pointer-events - this is very important for many of
> my GUI elements as well as mapping projects
> * support for SVGLocatable - all of these methods and properties
> are very important for coordinate system calculations and for
> getting bounding boxes: .getBBox(), .getCTM(), .getScreenCTM()
> (very important), .getTransformToElement()
> * support for SVGPoint and the .matrixTransform() method

It would be awesome if you could file bugs on http://bugs.webkit.org/
for any of these that aren't reported yet, especially if you can
provide test cases. This kind of feedback is really useful to us in
determining the most important parts of SVG to work on next.

Regards,
Maciej