[webkit-dev] Important missing bits in SVG support

Andreas Neumann neumann at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Mon Nov 20 13:36:19 PST 2006

Hi all,

I am an active SVG developer and am following Webkit's progress
regarding SVG for a while. I think it is soon at a state where it can be
used for many SVG projects - not yet complete and bug free, but already
usable. I am also happy to see that one can convert SVGs to PDF using
Webkit - great! Thanks for your great work on the SVG support!

Some of my work can be seen at http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/
- note that all examples that run in Opera/Batik/Firefox are standard
compliant, while some of the older or more complex examples might only
work in ASV (I am working to fix these as well).

I would like to share a list of missing features with you, that I would
need to get most of my examples working in Webkit:

* dynamic creation of use elements does not yet work: see
http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/manipulating_svg_with_dom_ecmascript/create_elements.svg
(try the dynamic creation for <use/> elements)
* support for pointer-events - this is very important for many of my GUI
elements as well as mapping projects
* support for SVGLocatable - all of these methods and properties are
very important for coordinate system calculations and for getting
bounding boxes: .getBBox(), .getCTM(), .getScreenCTM() (very important),
.getTransformToElement()
* support for SVGPoint and the .matrixTransform() method

I think if these missing bits above are implemented, many of my examples
will work and I'll be able to write bug reports on other things.
Currently, most of my examples aren't functional in Webkit due to the
missing SVGLocatable and SVGPoint methods/properties.

I would greatly appreciate if you could look into supporting these
methods in the near future.

Thanks a lot,
Andreas

Andreas Neumann
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich
Wolfgang-Paulistrasse 15
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland

Phone: ++41-44-633 3031, Fax: ++41-44-633 1153
e-mail: neumann at karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/