[webkit-dev] SVG display in embed elements chooses ASV instead ofWebkit

Andreas Neumann neumann at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Mon Nov 20 13:06:57 PST 2006

hm,

Adobe SVG viewer is a dying thing, anyway. It doesn't work on Intel Macs
any more.

I personally would prefer that the upcoming webkit would use its own SVG
engine instead the Adobe viewer. ASV, wasn't updated for ages (since 2001).

But well, its going away, anyway.

My hope is that Webkits SVG imlementation will soon be similar or better
than ASV.

Andreas

Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:12:02 +0100 Andreas Neumann
>
>> When I view HTML files with an embedded SVG file (using the <embed />
>> tag) webkit loads the SVG in the Adobe SVG viewer instead of the
>> native SVG implementation.
>

>   My understanding is that custom plugins are supposed to override
> internal implementations (or QuickTime, for that matter) - on the
> basis that the user expects a plugin to work after explicitly
> installing it.
>
>   Besides, if WebKit always preferred built-in SVG, there would be no
> way to access sites that only work with ASV.
>
> - WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov

Andreas Neumann
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich
Wolfgang-Paulistrasse 15
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland

Phone: ++41-44-633 3031, Fax: ++41-44-633 1153
e-mail: neumann at karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/