[webkit-dev] Is WebKit's javascript subpar?

Mike Emmel mike.emmel at gmail.com
Fri May 26 07:36:50 PDT 2006

On 5/26/06, Colin Barrett <timber at lava.net> wrote:

> I don't mean to white knight, but I don't think Rentzsch was saying "WebKit
> sucks, Firefox roolz". I think he was merely pointing out that there are
> still problems with Dashcode becoming a full-fledged AJAX IDE.
>
> I haven't read any of the other blog posts on Dashcode, I don't know what
> they're saying. However, I think, in general, it's important to remember:
>
> 1) Dashcode isn't even officially released. It's only through a mistake that
> we even know about it.
> 2) Safari, JSCore, WebCore, and WebKit have spent a lot less time as mature
> frameworks than their Moz equivalents. There has been a lot of improvement
> since WebKit went public, and I think we're going to continue to see more.
>
> The "pundits" have a valid point: at this stage, JSCore is still playing
> catchup with FF. That's a bit of a red herring, though. What's important is
> that the WebKit guys are playing the game—unlike IE, which has gone nowhere.
> You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
>
> -Colin

Yes but ...

It turns out I read the page on the Javascript engine a while back its
not changed much since then. It would be nice if some concrete plans
or proposal to improve JSCore were presented for example it would be
possible to integrate spidermonkey behind the JSCore api and replace
the exsisting interperter. That approach has a lot of plusses they
firefox/webkit team can join forces on the JS interpeter .
It already has a C api Bytecode support and E4X the three main
features requested.
Collaboration here is immensly valuable and should not be underestimated.

Whats missing is a good garbage collector or more important a plugin
framework for one
and its a bit bloated this can be fixed.

Its what I conisider and obvious solution so explaining why or why not
that approach should be taken would be valuable.

Mike