[webkit-dev] Is WebKit's javascript subpar?

Colin Barrett timber at lava.net
Fri May 26 01:00:17 PDT 2006

I don't mean to white knight, but I don't think Rentzsch was saying
"WebKit sucks, Firefox roolz". I think he was merely pointing out
that there are still problems with Dashcode becoming a full-fledged
AJAX IDE.

I haven't read any of the other blog posts on Dashcode, I don't know
what they're saying. However, I think, in general, it's important to
remember:

1) Dashcode isn't even officially released. It's only through a
mistake that we even know about it.
2) Safari, JSCore, WebCore, and WebKit have spent a lot less time as
mature frameworks than their Moz equivalents. There has been a lot of
improvement since WebKit went public, and I think we're going to
continue to see more.

The "pundits" have a valid point: at this stage, JSCore is still
playing catchup with FF. That's a bit of a red herring, though.
What's important is that the WebKit guys are playing the game—unlike
IE, which has gone nowhere. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

-Colin