[webkit-dev] Layout tests

Mike Emmel mike.emmel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 12:09:26 PDT 2006

On 7/4/06, Eric Seidel <macdome at opendarwin.org> wrote:

> On Jul 4, 2006, at 1:35 PM, Mike Emmel wrote:
> >
> > So  why run the layout tests now ?
> > The current ports problems are evident via simple single page testing.
>
> Layout tests are always useful.  Even if the port is otherwise non-
> functional, the layout tests will help you better understand your
> changes, when you make them.  Sometimes you'll make a one line change
> and change (fix or break) tens or hundreds of tests at once.

I don't disagree that there not useful if it was a simple matter to
get them to run.
But it looks like a pretty big project which may not complete for some time.
Which brings up a number of questions.
Is this the best test code base for cross platform testing ?

There are other tests suites acid2 I believe that may be more amendable.
In anycase there are a lot of testing frameworks out ther.

Again I'm just questioning the timing and scope of the project.

Not that it would not be useful if it was available.

Mike