[webkit-dev] minor tool improvement ideas (sharing my personal list)

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Sun Jun 19 22:54:33 PDT 2005

I keep a little file on my machine with ideas for tool improvements.
I haven't put any of these ideas into bugzilla yet, but I wanted to
share them with the rest of you in case someone wants to do some of
these:

     update script that opens all files with merge conflicts in an
editor

     run-webkit-tests option that gives backtraces for failed tests
     run-webkit-tests option that puts you in gdb and re-runs any
test that crashed

     enhance cvs-apply and cvs-unapply to handle 3-way merges when
patches are old
     make cvs-apply/unapply smarter about applying patch one level
too high/low
     teach cvs-apply/unapply how to handle ChangeLog merging so they
don't always think there's a conflict
     teach cvs-apply to update the date on a ChangeLog entry it's
merging

     cvs-fix-patch: a script we have internally, make one for
WebKitTools/Scripts

     cvs-clean: a script we have internally, move it to WebKitTools/
Scripts
         change to respect .cvsignore as Maciej suggested
             turns out it's really hard to respect .cvsignore by
default,
             since there are so many different sources of things to
ignore
             (defaults, server-side, per-directory .cvsignore, home
directory .cvsignore)

It would even be helpful to write bugzilla bugs about the best ideas
from this list.

     -- Darin