[webkit-dev] Building WebKit CVS with XCode 2.1

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Fri Jun 17 09:41:07 PDT 2005

On Jun 17, 2005, at 5:53 AM, Clever Monkey wrote:

> I ran into a few problems building CVS with XCode 2.1.  The first
> was a "well-known" (to Google, anyway) warning with xcodebuild
> needing it's option changed to "-configuration".
>
> I hacked Makefile.am to fix that.

You shouldn't be using makefiles at all, so you won't be using
Makefile.am; that file is currently part of a legacy build system
only used by people on the Safari team.

You should be invoking the "build-webkit" script, which calls
"xcodebuild" for you with the proper options.

> Of more interest is that JavaScriptCore would immediately fail when
> it hit source that includes some headers from JavaScriptCore/
> bindings/jni.  Specifically, those headers that reference <JavaVM/
> jni.h>.  This would in turn cause a long list of errors related to
> important Java defines like jstring and the like.
>
> My solution was to softlink the contents of /Library/Java/Home/
> include to some valid include path.  I chose WebKitBuild/Deployment/
> include/JavaVM.
>
> I'm hoping to confirm whether or not there is some problem with my
> devtools setup, or if this is a known problem.

Others are building successfully without having to do this. I'm not
sure why you ran into this problem; clearly something to do with the
Java installation, but not obvious to me what's wrong.

     -- Darin