[webkit-dev] Building WebKit CVS with XCode 2.1

Clever Monkey clvrmnky at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 06:14:47 PDT 2005

On Jun 17, 2005, at 12:41 PM, Darin Adler wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2005, at 5:53 AM, Clever Monkey wrote:
>

>> I ran into a few problems building CVS with XCode 2.1.  The first
>> was a "well-known" (to Google, anyway) warning with xcodebuild
>> needing it's option changed to "-configuration".
>>
>> I hacked Makefile.am to fix that.
>>

> You shouldn't be using makefiles at all, so you won't be using
> Makefile.am; that file is currently part of a legacy build system
> only used by people on the Safari team.
>
> You should be invoking the "build-webkit" script, which calls
> "xcodebuild" for you with the proper options.

This *was* from running "build-webkit".  I don't think I'm the only
one who has run into this.  I found the "solution", such as it is, on
Google.

build-webkit is invoking xcodebuild, but with a deprecated option.

>> Of more interest is that JavaScriptCore would immediately fail
>> when it hit source that includes some headers from JavaScriptCore/
>> bindings/jni.  Specifically, those headers that reference <JavaVM/
>> jni.h>.  This would in turn cause a long list of errors related to
>> important Java defines like jstring and the like.
>>
>> My solution was to softlink the contents of /Library/Java/Home/
>> include to some valid include path.  I chose WebKitBuild/
>> Deployment/include/JavaVM.
>>
>> I'm hoping to confirm whether or not there is some problem with my
>> devtools setup, or if this is a known problem.
>>

> Others are building successfully without having to do this. I'm not
> sure why you ran into this problem; clearly something to do with
> the Java installation, but not obvious to me what's wrong.

It looks like the upgrade to XCode 2.1 did not fix some softlinks in /
System/Library/Frameworks.  I've had this sort of thing happen
before, and should know by now to completely remove previous release
prior to installing new ones.