[webkit-dev] AJAX Support

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Dec 25 02:21:28 PST 2005

Hi Andrew,

On Dec 24, 2005, at 5:03 PM, Andrew Eberhard wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm almost certain this topic has been covered before so I'll try
> to keep my questions brief and will gladly read any resources
> already devoted to thereto (I just signed up for this mailing list).
>
> Basically, I'm an AJAX developer for a large civil engineering
> company.  As User Interface Manager for the corporate intranet,
> I've regularly tried to enrich the capabilities of our intranet
> without increasing bandwidth needs and/or client requirements.
>
> To date, my efforts have focused primarily on IE (the corporate
> browser standard), but I am being asked (and honestly want) to
> support other browsers including FireFox and Safari.

Glad to hear it - supporting all major browsers is a great way to go.

> It seems to me that there are a couple of things that are missing
> from Safari.  If anyone could speak to either of these (potentially
> incorrect) observations, please do.
>
> 1.  Although Safari implements most of the XML Extras in FireFox,
> as far as I can tell it lacks a critical piece of the AJAX
> framework:  the ability to apply an XSLT transform to an XML
> document received asynchronously from a server into HTML.  I
> believe Safari supports .innerHTML on most tags (could be wrong),
> so the transform process seems to be the only missing piece of the
> puzzle in this regard.

XSLTProcessor is available in the latest cvs version of WebKit,
though not any released version of Safari yet. You might find it
helpful for testing.

> 2.  There seems to be a number of bugs with contenteditable regions
> in Safari.  Strictly speaking these are not part of the AJAX
> "platform", but having reliable editable regions would be very
> useful for online applications.  The Writely.com website has some
> rather vague descriptions of the problems.

We'd love to know what specific bugs you run into. Historically,
WebKit editing support has focused on full-document editing in Mail.
We're currently looking to make in-page editing via contenteditable
work well too. Specific bug reports would really help in this area.

Regards,
Maciej