[webkit-dev] DOS in Safari/WebKit?

John Sullivan sullivan at apple.com
Fri Dec 23 07:21:58 PST 2005

>> We don't check against a hard limit but TOT will no longer crash or
>> overwrite memory (try it). We now detect the allocation failure. But
>> it might be good to also set a hard upper limit on rowspans.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Maciej
> Wearing belt AND suspenders never hurts, right? Until there's a
> performance hit, I don't see that you can have too many checks.

Any time you put in a hard limit for something, you run the risk of
running into a legitimate case where the hard limit is exceeded. So
it's not just a "belt and suspenders" issue -- there is a real
downside for this kind of change.

> A lot of people seem to be interpreting it as a security hole in spite
> of the fact that the report says Safari will "crash, and or execute
> arbitrary code." I suppose that "and or" maybe gives them an out,
> but do
> they truly believe that _every_ crashing bug is exploitable?

They aren't thinking at all, is my guess. One person somewhere found
a reproducible crash, and somehow got the idea that it was
potentially a security risk, and he wrote that down somewhere, and
everyone else is just repeating it without thinking.

John