[wpe-webkit] Is anyone using WPE WebKit packages in Ubuntu in production?

Luís Infante da Câmara luis.infante.da.camara at tecnico.ulisboa.pt
Wed Jun 29 14:00:06 PDT 2022

Adrián Perez de Castro,

On 6/29/22 13:25, Adrian Perez de Castro wrote:
> Bom día, Luís,
>
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 18:15:44 +0100 Luís Infante da Câmara <luis.infante.da.camara at tecnico.ulisboa.pt> wrote:
>
>> To whom it may concern,
>>
>> Is anyone using WPE WebKit packages in Ubuntu in production?
>
> I am aware of some people using Ubuntu packages, but we do not really
> have numbers on how many installations are there. I took a look at the
> popcon [1] site, but the wpewebkit packages do not appear (note that
> sending popcon statistics is opt-in, so there can be many systems with
> the packages installed without anything showing in popcon!)
>
>> I am writing this because have opened a bug in Ubuntu with patches to
>> upgrade the versions in stable releases (2.28.1, 2.32.4 and 2.36.0) to
>> the latest version (2.36.3)
>> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wpewebkit/+bug/1970779) and I
>> want to know if an update should be made.
>
> We do recommend picking WebKit updates, specially in cases like this
> which include fixes for known security issues; but it is up to the
> distribution maintainers to update their packaging. Ubuntu has been
> good picking WebKitGTK updates in the last few years (and we have
> helped out by not introducing dependencies in WebKit too eagerly, which
> should help out with the WPE port, too!)

In the bug, I have not attached patches, but published patched packages
in my PPA instead:
https://launchpad.net/~luis220413/+archive/ubuntu/security-updates.

Regarding WebKitGTK updates, the version in Ubuntu 18.04 has not been
updated since November 1 due to toolchain requirements that cannot be
met by that version of Ubuntu (see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/webkit2gtk/+bug/1970783).
However, later versions of Ubuntu are fully updated.

Kind regards,
Luís Infante da Câmara