[wpe-webkit] Is anyone using WPE WebKit packages in Ubuntu in production?

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Wed Jun 29 05:25:57 PDT 2022

Bom día, Luís,

On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 18:15:44 +0100 Luís Infante da Câmara <luis.infante.da.camara at tecnico.ulisboa.pt> wrote:

> To whom it may concern,
>
> Is anyone using WPE WebKit packages in Ubuntu in production?

I am aware of some people using Ubuntu packages, but we do not really
have numbers on how many installations are there. I took a look at the
popcon [1] site, but the wpewebkit packages do not appear (note that
sending popcon statistics is opt-in, so there can be many systems with
the packages installed without anything showing in popcon!)

> I am writing this because have opened a bug in Ubuntu with patches to
> upgrade the versions in stable releases (2.28.1, 2.32.4 and 2.36.0) to
> the latest version (2.36.3)
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wpewebkit/+bug/1970779) and I
> want to know if an update should be made.

We do recommend picking WebKit updates, specially in cases like this
which include fixes for known security issues; but it is up to the
distribution maintainers to update their packaging. Ubuntu has been
good picking WebKitGTK updates in the last few years (and we have
helped out by not introducing dependencies in WebKit too eagerly, which
should help out with the WPE port, too!)

I hope this helped clarify a bit.

Cheers,
—Adrián

---