[wpe-webkit] [External] Re: Does WPE have any advantage over the Blink

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Tue Aug 23 05:56:04 PDT 2022

Hi again,

On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 01:24:14 -0700 杨祥 <yangxiang.yx at bytedance.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your detailed reply, this really helped me. I would like to
> see a full-platform low-power engine.
>
> Does there have any roadmap for WPE?We are very interested in this piece of
> work. Maybe we can join together.

On the roadmap-related question, the answer short answer is that the WIP
nature of this Android-focused effort means that one can not expect the same
amount of maturity on the current releases of WPE-Android compared to current
releases of WPE, but this is meant to be temporary and the idea is that we'll
be able to call WPE-Android ready for end-users soon enough, once we achieve
at least the following high level goals:

- Support for most use cases on Android devices.
- Hardware-accelerated video and audio encoding.
- Provide periodic, up-to-date releases.
- Drop-in replacement for Android's WebView.

As for where we are at the moment with these goals, we have been actively
working on this for the past few months and done a lot of progress on
different fronts (e.g. HW acceleration, PSON support, major refactorings on
the underlying architecture...) and we'll continue to do so, but we can't
commit to specific dates for now I'm afraid.

This said, we'd appreciate any help towards advancing towards these goals, so
I'd encourage you go engage with this effort via this mailing list, Matrix [1]
and/or code contributions in GitHub [2].

Cheers,
—Adrián

---
[1] https://matrix.to/#/#wpe:matrix.org