[wpe-webkit] AArch64 builds in AUR

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Wed Mar 27 07:45:38 PDT 2019

Hello Andrea,

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 06:29:15 +0100, Andrea Giammarchi <andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yet another update.
>
> I am using XWayland so that I can use xrandr and force/set 1280x720
> resolution.

I think that changing the resolution using xrandr may be a bad idea. You
should be able to configure the resolution to use in “weston.ini” when using
the DRM backend (“--backend=drm-backend.so”) with the vc4 driver.

> Using COG_VIEW_FULLSCREEN=1 (can't remember the whole name) does the trick,
> however some demo still reports 1024x1024 resolution, even if I'm pretty
> sure it is actually 1280x720 (no borders, everything centered ... must be!)

You are right, the size of the viewport reported to web applications should
be 1280x720... *If* the understanding that the compositor has of the output
resolution is correct. Using xrandr might be a bad idea here because that
changes the output resolution that *XWayland* considers as active, but I do
not know if that would actually apply back to the Wayland (without X)
compositor.

> I believe things are working fine, 'cause I can see this demo at 25fps on
> the Pi3 https://webglsamples.org/dynamic-cubemap/dynamic-cubemap.html

Indeed, if you get more than 1 or 2fps with this demo, it is definitely
being accelerated by the GPU :-)

> However, the canvas 2D demo goes 8fps, so now I'm building cairo-gl-aarch64
> and will build wpewebkit-gl-aarch64 too, but I still wonder if instead I
> should use GLESV2 for both builds instead.
>
> In that case I'd go packaging cairo-glesv2-aarch64 and
> wpewebkit-glesvs-aarch64 but I'd like to be sure that's needed.
>
> Youtube doesn't show much ... every video I've tried so far seems to be not
> supported. This might be some missing codec in my ArchLinux thuogh.
>
> Last, but not least, the official LCD touch screen doesn't seem to work at
> all in aarch64 so, since there is no mouse whatsoever in WPE, I'm basically
> incapable of interacting at all with anything shown on the screen: bummer.

When using the FDO backend, WPE WebKit gets the input events from the Wayland
compositor. Does the LCD touch screen work for you with other applications
under Wayland? Weston (and most compositors) use libinput, which includes a
small tool to list supported devices:

  % libinput list-devices

Check that the touch screen appears there, then I would suppose that libinput
is missing some support for that touch screen. If it appears, you can use the
built-in test GUI to see whether libinput handles the touch screen correctly:

  % libinput debug-gui

If libinput's debug-gui works, then it is likely that there is a bug in
WPEBackend-fdo. Let me know what you find and then we can see if a bug needs
to be reported, and to which component.

Best regards,
—Adrián