[wpe-webkit] AArch64 builds in AUR

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Mon Mar 4 07:12:18 PST 2019

Hi Andrea,

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 08:59:37 +0100, Andrea Giammarchi <andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Adrián please flag those as usable in AArch64 too, [...]

Done, I have pushed an update for the AUR packages “libwpe”, “libwpe-git”,
“wpebackend-fdo”, and “wpebackend-fdo-git” — they are directly buildable on
AArch64 now (though you could have downloaded the PKGBUILDs and edit them
before building already before).

> [...] but I'm not sure why you mentioned webkit2gtk is already there.

Because if the WebKitGTK package is being built for ARM devices, that means
that somehow the Arch Linux ARM developers already have some way of building
big packages — and it *has to be possible* to build WPE WebKit as well.

> Yes, it is, and it works too, but it's not HW accelerated and it fails
> trying to initialize Open GL (it doesn't try GLES, not sure there's a way
> to force that).

WebKitGTK can use OpenGL ES, if built passing “-DENABLE_GLES2=ON” to CMake.
Of course it will still need GTK+, this only switches between using “desktop”
OpenGL and OpenGL ES2.

> If libwpe and wpebackend are built, are you say webkit2gtk could benefit
> specifying a different backend or forcing that backend on Wayland?

The WebKit *GTK* port does not use libwpe/wpebackend-* — only the WPE WebKit
port needs them.

> Anyway, one step at the time. Let's start with those two bricks buildable
> on a Pi3. Even if those wouldn't build it's AUR, nothing bad happens ;-)
>
> As soon as updated, I'll re-confirm everything is fine 👋

As written above, you should be able to build “libwpe” and “wpebackend-fdo”
from the AUR now.

Regards,

-Adrián

Non-text part: text/html