[wpe-webkit] Feature omissions in WPE relative to GTK

Ryan Walklin ryan at testtoast.com
Mon Jun 17 03:45:12 PDT 2019

Hi all,

So I've lost my mind and am implementing a full desktop browser using WPE and Swift on Linux, and an HTML/JS UI. It currently consists of a WebView and an address/search bar, but it works great with full process separation and HiDPI support, is very fast, and I have all kinds of great plans. (1)

However I've noted a few potentially-missing features in WPE relative to the GTK and macOS ports, including:

- No text/element selection support despite supporting all keyboard and pointer events.
- Support for inertia scrolling with mouse wheel/trackpad
- WebGL with the FDO backend

Is there any plan for any/all of these features? Is WPE really the right tool for a desktop browser or would I be better cutting my losses and using WebKitGTK? Is anyone else interested in the idea/contributing/laughing at my code?

Regards,

Ryan

1.  WebExtension support, multiple panes,  tabs, history, clipboard, bookmark sync, etc... All that great real-browser stuff.