[wpe-webkit] Backend objects for multiple WebViews

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Wed Jun 5 05:47:54 PDT 2019

Hello Ryan,

On Tue, 04 Jun 2019 21:18:38 +1000, Ryan Walklin <ryan at testtoast.com> wrote:

> I'm just expanding a Wayland app using WPE to support multiple WebViews, and
> it's not immediately clear whether I need one WPE backend for each view, or
> just one across multiple views (I assume I need one view backend per view).
>
> [...]

Yes, you will need one WPE backend instance (and its corresponding
WebKitWebViewBackend wrapper) for each WebKitWebView. This means that for
each Web view you can install a separate frame callback to pick the rendered
frames and your application can decide how to display them in whichever way
is more fitting.

> Is there any up to date documentation on using multiple WPE views?

Ideally this is something that should be explained in the documentation
for libwpe, possibly with some hints about it in the documentation for
the WebKitWebView class. Unfortunately we are lacking in this department
in general... As a first step I am trying on my spare time to at least
automate having the documentation we already have built and published to
the website when making new releases (it's going slowly, but will happen
at some point).

Cheers,
—Adrián

P.S: I haven't forgotten about the thread from some weeks ago about CORS
and custom URI schemes, I'll try and check it in the next days.