[wpe-webkit] Cog, WPE WebKit and the Linux framebuffer

Andy Pont andy.pont at sdcsystems.com
Wed Jul 24 03:24:01 PDT 2019

Carlos wrote...

>>  If it is relevant, the SAMA5D2 only has an LCD controller and doesn’t
>>  have a GPU.  The final application doesn’t require any 3D capabilities
>>  but if they are required for building WPE WebKit then it will need to be
>>  software rendering.
>
>WPE can run without Wayland, but it can't run without a GPU.
>The _minimum_ requirements regarding graphics is a GPU with support for
>OpenGL-ES 2.0 and EGL.
>
>In theory it should be possible to use something like Mesa
>swrast/llvmpipe to avoid using a real GPU, but this doesn't work ok.
>If you do that, you will find that the CPU usage is much higher than it
>should (with the associated heat dissipation problem) and the overall
>performance is very bad.

Thanks for the information. We are still in the “experimentation” phase
of this project trying to work out what is the right hardware to use. I
have looked at the possible BOM cost and it looks like we could swap out
the SAMA5D2 and replace it with one of the TI AM335x (Beaglebone Black)
which uses the PowerVR SGX530 GPU.

I posted the same question to the issues on Igalia/meta-webkit at Github
to try and get some guidance on how I would configure the backend.

-Andy.