[wpe-webkit] WPEWebKit and Widevine

Brandon Adkins Badkins79 at msn.com
Sat Jan 5 16:50:48 PST 2019

I am using WebKitGTK to build a browser-based project that relies on an X11 backend. However, I need to also support DRM media, like Spotify and Netflix. Descriptions online say that WPEWebKit can handle WideVine and DRM, but I am having trouble understanding the project layouts.

I see there are WPEWebKit releases in the subversion repository at trac.webkit.org, but looking at the code for those releases, I see there is no difference in DRM support than that of WebKitGTK.

I also found a WPEWebKit repository in github, and that one has extra code that shows it does indeed support Widevine.

So why is there a different repository for WPEWebKit in github. And why does it have DRM support code that isn't in the subversion repo used by WebKitGTK?

If I took that additional DRM code from the github repo and added it to my WebKitGTK codebase from the subversion repo, would my browser now support DRM?

If someone could just give me a quick rundown of this to point me in the right direction, it would be hugely helpful.

Brandon