[wpe-webkit] AArch64 builds in AUR

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Wed Feb 27 05:53:36 PST 2019

Hello Andrea,

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 23:24:56 +0100, Andrea Giammarchi <andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com> wrote:

> > While I am quite confident that things *should* work on AArch64
>
> libwpe-git builds out of the box but wpewebkit is, indeed non-compilable
> from the Pi3+

Given that you tried building it already, I could mark “libwpe-git” as
available for AArch64. Is there any chance that you could also try the
“libwpe”, “wpebackend-fdo”, and “wpebackend-fdo-git” packages? Those are
small and should build fine in the Raspberry Pi itself.

As you point out, the main issue will be the “wpebackend-git” and
“wpebackend” packages. The “webkit2gtk” [1] package is available in
Arch Linux ARM, so

> > Having packages readily available for Raspbian ...
>
> That's the thing, ArchLinux has already everything updated compared to
> Raspbian, and AUR has, AFAIK, no Raspbian equivalent.

Yes, that is indeed a good thing of Arch Linux in genera: available packages
tend to be quite up to date :-)

> We could have stable on AUR, and dev/test builds still on AUR, as it's been
> the case for most platform that needs actual real tests, not just final
> stable user-land ready releases (i.e. proton, wine, and friends).
>
> > The main issue I see here is that in particular the “wpewebkit” package
> > would take ages to build on the Raspberry Pi
>
> My idea is that it doesn't need to be built on a Pi, and I'm sure there is
> a way to cross-build anything on ArchLinux, 'cause Cairo, GTK and others,
> are surely not built on a Pi.
>
> Maybe we can start a thread in the ArchLinuxARM forum about this, and see
> what's the outcome?

Probably a good idea. Would you be interested in asking and getting the
discussion started?

I would greatly appreciate that someone else takes care of leading on that
front because my plate has already too much on it — I will be more than happy
to help out with doubts there may be (about WebKit, WPE, etc.) and maybe
helping out a bit on the side with the technical parts.

Regards,

-Adrián

---
[1] https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/aarch64/webkit2gtk