[wpe-webkit] Punching Hole Support In Upstream

zan at falconsigh.net zan at falconsigh.net
Thu Nov 1 10:29:38 PDT 2018

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018, at 8:51 AM, Munez Bn wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Earlier I was using WpeWebkit from the downstream, and now I have
> started using Upstream ( wpewebkit 2.22.0).  I noticed that the
> GSTREAMER punching hole code is not available in upstream code ( nor
> the external_punch_hole).  When I tried Youtube.com/Tv,  YouTube UI
> was launching but I couldn't play video. It could be a different issue
> but I am  just wondering if it is related to missing PUNCH_HOLE code
> in upstream. If not, then someone please explain how the punch hole
> will be working in upstream code.>
> PS: I have enabled MSE in the build and also in webkit settings

Hi,

ability to correctly handle video display through GStreamer-GL depends
on platform-specific support. Given you were using hole punching before,
I guess GStreamer-GL wasn't an option.
Hole punching hasn't made its way upstream yet. The feature, as
currently implemented, is too invasive to the layout engine and the
GStreamer media player implementation. We'll probably have to rework it
quite a bit to make it viable for upstream.
Regards,
Zan