[webkit-qt] QtWebKit 5.3.0 performances and footprint

Massimo Callegari massimocallegari at yahoo.it
Wed Jun 11 07:36:43 PDT 2014

Hello everybody,
I've had quite good results with QtWebKit 2.3.3 + Qt 4.8.5 + DirectFB on a MIPS platform. (2000 DMIPS)
Now I've decided to make the big step and give Qt 5.3.0 a try.

Same platform but this time I go directly on OpenGL ES 2.0 instead of using DirectFB.
After quite a pain with the ICU library, I've been able to successfully run some QtWebKit examples and everything is up and running !
The results are not bad at all. If you are interested, I can share those I collected from either the Qt4 and the Qt5 system.

Now I've got a few questions, mostly concerning the overall footprint, as it's around 30% bigger than the Qt4 system.

############ Footprint

1) on an embedded platform, print support is useless to me. Unfortunately, it seems there is no "configure" way to disable it on Qt5, so the consequence is that QtWebKit includes the print support too. Is there any way to disable them both ? This could save me around 1MB !

2) QtWebKit's qmake process reports that both Webkit1 and Webkit2 are built into the final library. Are they both really required ?
I've read on Allan's presentation made in November in San Franscisco that Webkit2 is related to QML development. I am keen to go that way, so I'd prefer to have a QtWebKit library with just the WebKit2 support. Is this possible ?

3) If #2 is possible, is there any QML browser example that I can take a look at ? The QtWebKit examples package doesn't include any. The only QML examples are for Flickr and YouTube.

############ Performances

1) it seems that font rendering is much slower on QtWebKit 5 but I can't be 100% sure if this depends on Qt or OpenGL. Can anyone explain the low level bits that take care of this part ?
The reference test I used is this: http://www.craftymind.com/factory/guimark2/HTML5TextTest.html
On Qt4+DirectFB it does 0,48fps, while on Qt5+OGL it does 0,1fps.

2) Similar to the above, this test
http://www.craftymind.com/factory/guimark2/HTML5GamingTest.html
does 6,05fps on Qt4+DFB and 2,04fps on Qt5+OGL. Is there any explanation for this ?

3) I've ran all the benchmarks with the "browser" example, which is QtWidget-based. I'm wondering if a QML/SceneGraph based browser could boost the rendering up and give much better results. Anyone has had experiences/results on this ?

Sorry for the long email. I hop someone (Allan ? :) ) can pick this up and enlighten me on some aspects.

Thanks in advance !
Massimo