[webkit-qt] Building QtWebkit 2.1.1 on RHEL 6

James Wettenhall james.wettenhall at monash.edu
Sun Mar 10 15:17:18 PDT 2013

Hi

Thanks for the advice.  I had a quick attempt at reusing the SRPM's
spec file, but it didn't work for me.  I may have done something
stupid.  I'll try again later.

BTW, I'm on 64-bit CentOS 6.3.

I did succeed in building QtWebKit from qt-everywhere-opensource, using a simple

./configure --prefix
make
make install

So that solution is perfectly acceptable to me.

I isolated the problem with my original attempt at building it.  The
object files generated from WebKit/qt/Api/*.cpp (e.g. qwebpage.o) were
successfully being generated in
WebKitBuild/Release/WebCore/obj/release/
and they were correctly being included in the linking command in
WebKitBuild/Release/WebCore/Makefile

But most of the symbols from the WebKit/qt/Api/ object files appeared
to be lost in libQtWebKit.so.  I wrote a Hello World program using the
QWebPage class.  When I linked it against qwebpage.o, it had no
problem finding the QWebPage symbols, but it faced undefined symbol
errors about QWebPage references when I linked it against the
libQtWebKit.so I had built.

Removing the --gc-sections option from WebCore/WebCore.pro resulted in
a lot more QWebPage symbols being included in libQtWebKit.so, as
reported by nm or objdump -tT, but I still got undefined symbol errors
when I tried linking against it.

I ran

objdump -tT libQtWebKit.so | grep QWebPage | wc -l

on the EPEL version which gave 128, and on my build with --gc-sections
which gave 2, and on my build without --gc-sections which gave 226.

Cheers,
James