[webkit-qt] Making QWebChannel Official?

Milian Wolff milian.wolff at kdab.com
Mon Jan 21 06:43:46 PST 2013

On Monday 21 January 2013 12:09:09 Milian Wolff wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> we at KDAB would be interested in making QWebChannel [1] "official". What I
> mean by that is merging its code into QtWebKit and publishing its
> functionality via either
>
> - a new libqmlwebkitchannelplugin.so or similar
> - the existing libqmlwebkitexperimentalplugin.so
> - the existing libqmlwebkitplugin.so
>
> Noam said that he has no intention in maintaining this code anymore. But I
> already did some cleanups [2] and want to fix some more bugs I encountered.
> Once that it done, would there be any opposition against merging this code
> and making it the official "this is how you connect HTML/WK2 and
> QML2/QObject" solution?
>
> Generally, do you think the approach taken by Noam is the "right" one?
> Personally, I find it very elegant and would think that many use cases of
> the old C++ API could be supported by the webchannel.

Debugging the polling issue, I figured that I'll have to rewrite this code
based on web sockets to make it reliable. A generic QML websocket server would
help tremendously for that - I'll investigate.

Cheers
--
Milian Wolff | milian.wolff at kdab.com | Software Engineer
Tel. Germany +49-30-521325470, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090