[webkit-qt] Building QtWebkit with WebGL support on Windows XP with MSVC2008 and Qt4.8.4

Richard Gerd Kuesters richard at humantech.com.br
Fri Aug 9 09:47:48 PDT 2013

Hi Max,

Sorry I couldn't explain myself better.

PITA = Pain in the A**. Basically.

Yes, you can compile Qt under Windows in 64 bits but, prior to Qt 5.1
you'll not be able to use JavaScriptCore in 64 bit mode. HTML, CSS, yes.
JS? No. That's why I basically ported my apps to 5.1 :) Even Chrome's V8
isn't 64 bits under Windows. There's no point for developers to use 64
bit JavaScript since, I don't know why, benchmarks are slower then 64
bits. I guess that's promoted by the Infinite Improbability Drive.

In the qt-project downloads area, if you download Qt 5.1 in zip and
tar.gz formats and apply a diff, you'll see there's something there.
That allow us to compile Qt 5.1 under Windows with MSVC 2008 :) The ZIP
package, of course, without too much pain.

The ICU is a library which WebKit from the Qt source requires to build.
I don't know if it is necessary under Qt 4.8.

As you described:

 > - A QtWebkit library with WebGL support

Sorry, can't help with that.

 > - Compatible with maximum Qt 4.8, so under 5, because of Q3-classes
compatibility

Ok, stick to Qt 4.8.

>- Both Qt and QtWebkit should be in 32 Bit, because we still using some
external 32Bit libs

Then you're safe from the "64 bit JavaScript dilemma".

>- And all build with MSVC 2008

Already possible.

I guess your problem is just with WebGL :)

But, about this, I can't assume what's your error. Did you managed to
succeed in other Windows versions, like 7?

A quick look into the sources of Qt 4.8.4 and Qt 5.1 shows that WebGL
depends on the WTF library. This library, in Qt 4.8, is located inside
JavaScriptCore and, in Qt 5.1, it lives alongside WebKit, WebKit2 and
JavaScriptCore. I think someone can help you better with this, or ask
for help in Qt forums.

Best regards,
Richard.