[webkit-qt] Proposal: Qt 4 removal from trunk, Qt 5 changes

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 00:01:26 PDT 2012

On Wednesday 09 May 2012 18:47:40 Girish Ramakrishnan wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Simon Hausmann <simon.hausmann at nokia.com>
wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After a few emails, let me formulate a concrete proposal:
> >
> >    (1) Andrea Diamantini maintains an up-to-date port of WebKit that runs
> > with Qt 4, on gitorious.org.
>
> Currently, the port lies in
> https://gitorious.org/~adjam/webkit/kde-qt-webkit. Is there a reason
> why it's not in
> http://gitorious.org/+qtwebkit-developers/webkit/qtwebkit instead? For
> that matter, does it make sense to make this port as part of
> qt-project.org even?

The reason is just that I understood there is no will/manpower to maintain yet
the Qt4 WebKit port.
So, I cloned out the git webkit repo on gitorious and started evaluating the
possibility to unofficially release an updated qtwebkit 2.3 with some bugfixes,
the inline spell check API + some contribution from KDE community.
That's it.

> Maybe off topic: Also, what are the new apis in the above repo? How
> are the api docs for these generated and where do they reside? How
> have they been reviewed? http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/QtWebKitRelease23
> doesn't exist, so I don't know what it contains to comment.

There are currently no new APIs in the my branch. I'm evaluating just the
possibility to add one class for inline spell check + (eventual) QWebSettings
switch.
But we just have a solution to implement it without API addition as webkit
plugin based on KDE sonnet library. Code is here:
https://gitorious.org/kdewebkit-spellcheck

By the way, I cannot work a lot on this port and I started it just because I
realized there are too much months between qtwebkit 2.2 release and the time
we (in KDE) will start using qt5 webkit APIs (Wk1 or Wk2).
So, having one or two "mid-term" releases with bugfixes and eventually some
updates from wekbkit main repo should not be that bad ;)

Andrea Diamantini, adjam

rekonq project
WEB: http://rekonq.kde.org
IRC: rekonq at freenode