[webkit-qt] webkit2, v8, diplomacy

Harri Pasanen grego at mpaja.com
Wed Jun 13 10:22:22 PDT 2012

On 06/13/2012 05:44 PM, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> I would say that the aspect of memory savings disappeared the moment QtQuick1
> became a separate module that continues to use QtScript and we decided to use
> WebKit2 for the QtQuick2 integration. The process separation means that the
> two engines live in separate processes spaces and the only memory served would
> be on disk storage and the memory mapped pages from the shared library.

I wonder how much disk storage we are talking about?

For mobile stacks, such as Qt/Necessitas on Android the runtime needs to
be downloaded over the air.   Depending on your connectivity a few
megabytes can be a relatively big difference.   Also the phone internal
storage space is often just few hundred megabytes, if that, so being
conservative in disk usage is good for that too.

All in all, I think the impact on mobile devices will be bigger than
elsewhere for having two engines.

Just my 2 cents,

Harri