[webkit-qt] QtWebKit release with Qt 5.0 (was: Re: Conclusion (was RE: Proposal: Qt 4 removal from trunk, Qt 5 changes))

Milian Wolff milian.wolff at kdab.com
Wed Jun 6 08:21:55 PDT 2012

On Wednesday 06 June 2012 11:49:25 Alexis Menard wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Milian Wolff <milian.wolff at kdab.com> wrote:

> >> By branching of the same version as Qt 5.0 it will hopefully benifit from
> >> the stabilization up to Qt 5.0, plus it means we can hopefully keep the
> >> QtWebKit for Qt 4.x version close to the branch used for Qt 5.0, which
> >> means we can possible merge similar patches, etc.
> >>
> >> From an communication POV it is also simpler to explain that this fork
> >> will
> >> provide the features available in QtWebKit for Qt 5.0 to Qt 4.x (except
> >> WebKit2 of course).
> >
> > Short slightly OT question:
> >
> > My understanding was, that Qt 5.0 will not ship with the WebKit2 API yet?
>
> We focus on the QML API for it for many months now.So yes we'll ship a
> QML API and the one we made on top of Qt Quick2 is running with WK2
> and WK2 only.
>
> > Sadly I can't find the blog or email, but I think it was Lars Knoll who
> > said that WebKit2 will only be integrated in a Qt 5.x release?
>
> I never saw such a statement.
>
> > So: Is Qt 5.0 really going to ship with a first release of a QML WebKit2
> > API?
> Yes but with a more limited scope. You can't achieve the same as with
> the QWidget/QGraphicsView based API.
>
> > Considering that neigher examples or documentation public yet, I doubt
> > that.
> The cpp files contains a bit of documentation, we have API tests, we
> just don't have cool demos.

OK, great. Thanks for the clarification. Here are some more questions:

Will the next Beta release of Qt 5.0 contain QtWebKit?

Will the API documentation be updated [1], i.e. will the old WebKit1 C++ stuff
be documented again, and will the new QML WebKit2 classes be explained as
well?

Is anybody working on writing "cool demos"?

Will the QML WebKit only target touch devices, or will the desktop also be a
first-class citizen? I.e. will code like 'convert mouse events to touch
events' or similar be required there?

Thanks

[1]: http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/5.0/index.html
--
Milian Wolff | milian.wolff at kdab.com | Software Engineer
Tel. Germany +49-30-521325470, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090