[webkit-qt] Adding inline spell checking to webkit-qt

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 02:32:51 PDT 2011

On 20 July 2011 17:14, Dawit A <adawit at kde.org> wrote:

> Right, but the problem I have is exactly at this point. How is the
> host, say kdewebkit, supposed to know whether or not the word upon
> which the user just clicked in a misspelled word ?

I would imagine the host would do a spell check lookup on the clicked
word and also get the suggested words at the same time. I realise that
involves a double lookup of the word - at least once by QtWebKit, then
again by the host, but it seems simpler and less error prone then
trying to track all mispelled words in QtWebKit and somehow
communicating the right info to the host when the host clicks on a
word.

> That is the part I
> do not yet understand. Is there currently a mechanism for that or does
> one need to be added to the QWebHitTestResult class for example ?
> Perhaps it would help if I spend sometime looking into how spell
> checking works elsewhere,

I had a look at the Chrome port and as far as I could tell (not
confident!) it seemed to handle the spell check separately in the
hosting app to WebKit inline check.

--
Lindsay