[webkit-qt] Adding inline spell checking to webkit-qt

Dawit A adawit at kde.org
Mon Jul 18 23:45:47 PDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Lindsay Mathieson
<lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 July 2011 06:41, Dawit A <adawit at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Lindsay,
>>
>> I see you had made some progress from your
>> https://gitorious.org/~blackpaw/webkit/webkit-qt-inline-spell. Are you
>> still working on this ? I am interested in advancing this forward
>> since no one from Nokia seems to have the time for it. QtWebKit on the
>> desktop desperately needs this functionality.
>

> Yes, still working on it Dawit, though I think its pretty much done, I just
> need to run the patformlugin interface past somebody - I'm worried its a
> little too simple :)
> Must admit to be stalled a bit lately - pressures of RL (Wokr, House repairs
> blah blah ...). I'll post some queries and proposal in the next couple of
> days.
> If you've looked at/run the code, feel free to critique and make
> suggestions, *please* :)

OK, I took a look and here is my first impression:

* First and foremost, you need to do some house keeping work. That is
you need to run "Tools/Scripts/check-webkit-style" to make sure you
adhere to webkit coding style. I see a lot of incorrect indentations,
extra whitespaces and other coding style violations that will get your
patch rejected from the get go.

* I do not think a uchar* should be exposed in the Qt plugin API for
the spell checker. It should instead be converted to a QString or a
QByteArray, which ever one is appropriate, and the conversion to and
from uchar* should be handled internally.

* I think you are supposed to use OwnPtr for m_spellChecker in
EditorClientQt.* instead of a raw pointer variable.

* I fail to see how the spell checker code retrieves a list of
replacement words for the misspelled one with the current API. More
specifically, when a misspelled word gets highlighted, how does the
user go about correcting the misspelling ?
Perhaps I fail to see how because I do not yet fully understand the
TextCheckClient.* completely..

Regards,
Dawit A.