[webkit-qt] Fwd: What's going on with the 2.x (and 2.x.y) branch?

Dawit A adawit at kde.org
Wed Feb 2 11:30:19 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Benjamin Poulain
<benjamin.poulain at nokia.com> wrote:
> On 02/02/2011 05:07 PM, ext laszlo.1.gombos at nokia.com wrote:
>>
>> It would be good to conclude the Qt 4.8 discussion as I think that will
>> frame the qtwebkit-2.1.x release. Feedback on this ?
>
> About 4.8, my point of view is:
> -2.1 has not been tested on Qt 4.8, nor on the tier 1 platforms of Qt. So I
> don't see why it is relevant in the first place.
> -I have yet to find a dev who thinks 2.1 is not too old.
> -I am sick of closing bugs that are already fixed on trunk but never
> released.
>

> I am in favor of:
> -fix our P1s and regressions
> -branch
> -stabilize the branch
> -do multiple betas and do a better job to get the community involved in
> testing the hell out of it.

So am I. As someone that has to deal with people using QtWebKit on a
desktop environment, I cannot personally wait for the promise of
independent QtWebKit releases conveyed in
http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2010/03/03/qtwebkit-releases/

Until that happens, people using QtWebkit based browsers on the
desktop will not have the best possible experience because they only
have access to a very old version of QtWebKit that came bundled with
Qt itself. What exactly is holding Nokia back from giving QtWebKit its
own independent release schedule ? To me doing this would allow Nokia
to suck the last stable QtWebKit release that would have been tested
by a wider audience, into Qt 4.8 and do their own further internal
testing, no ?

Anyhow, seeing how Qt is supposed to go modular itself, this would
probably be a moot at some point in the future. Let us just hope that
that point is not another year or two...