[webkit-qt] problem when using QtWebKit to get elements from page

noam.rosenthal at nokia.com noam.rosenthal at nokia.com
Mon Sep 27 20:04:06 PDT 2010

Hi Qichao. Let me try to explain the problem.

void View::loadFinished(bool ok)

{

    Q_UNUSED(ok);

    QWebFrame *frame = page()->mainFrame();

    QWebElement element = frame->findFirstElement("div");

    qDebug() << frame->toHtml();

    QWebView webView;

    webView.setUrl(QUrl("http://www.google.com"));

    qDebug() << webView.page()->mainFrame()->toHtml();

}

You have two QWebViews here. One that is the current "this" element (we'll call that one A) and one that you instantiate inline with the variable you call webView (we'll call that one B). You've reached this signal once (A) was loaded, and then you try to load a URL into (B). The difference is that you access the HTML of (A) after it's already loaded, but you access the HTML of (B) before it's fully loaded. You can't expect google.com to be loaded from the network immediately after you request for it, networks still take some time - and this is an asynchronous API. :)

If you want this to work, you should keep a live pointer to your webView (B), and connect its loadFinished signal to another slot, instead of calling webView.page()->mainFrame()->toHtml() synchronously after setting the URL.

If you have questions, please reply to the list and not to me directly, there might be others interested in your question :)
Regards
No'am