[webkit-qt] qtwebkit release plans?

Jocelyn Turcotte jocelyn.turcotte at nokia.com
Wed Sep 15 01:48:24 PDT 2010

On 9/13/2010 2:54 PM, ext Rex Dieter wrote:
> henry.haverinen at nokia.com wrote:
>
>> QtWebKit 2.0 is the version that we'll ship with Qt 4.7. We have just made
>> the Release Candidate of Qt 4.7 available, which means that we're hoping
>> to release Qt 4.7.0 and QtWebKit 2.0 together with that quite soon.
> I'm aware of the bundling with qt-4.7.0, I'm asking more about standalone
> qtwebkit releases.  In my own work with fedora packaging, I (and 1 or 2
> other distros I know) are interested in packaging qtwebkit separately from
> qt, for several reasons, one of which was past announcements and blogs about
> such a standalone release.  Have plans or expectations changed?

Hi Rex,

the standalone releases primary goal was to untie the dependency of a
QtWebKit release from the Qt release it shipped with (i.e. QtWebKit 2.0
can be used with Qt 4.6).

We also wanted to have separate release schedules, bundling with Qt the
latest QtWebKit release, but chose to bind the QtWebKit 2.0 schedule to
Qt 4.7's for the first releases since we didn't have dedicated release
management and QA resources for QtWebKit yet.

On the packaging side, we can't completely remove QtWebKit sources from
Qt until we also take the time to extract Qt Assistant.

regards,
Jocelyn