[webkit-qt] release status

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at nokia.com
Fri May 14 09:14:10 PDT 2010

Hi,

So where are we at with the release?

We have currently 40 known issues that are blocking the release:

https://bugs.webkit.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=35784&hide_resolved=1

I think a lot of them are not severe enough to really block the release but
could easily be applied to patch releases or even the next feature release
(2.1) if we bring it out quickly enough.

Please everyone go through the list of blockers and join me in re-evaluating
the currently blocking issues.

So to see what's _really_ blocking the release and what could also be applied
to a patch release I suggest we use the priority. Every that's P1 blocks,
everything else will go into 2.0.1.

You can see this easily by choosing "View as list" with the above link.

I'd like to get 2.0 out before Qt 4.7. Once 2.0 is out of the door, I'd like
to create and release 2.1 much faster and spend less time stabilizing. If
something breaks in 2.1 then too bad, if 2.2 comes quickly enough with a fix
it's not so much of a big deal.

We've basically spent 7 weeks cherry-picking fixes into 2.0. That's too long.
I'd like to see if we can cut this down to 4 weeks for 2.1 and hopefully even
shorter with 2.2+. On the upside I'm glad that we've done all the changes in
the trunk, and from playing a bit with the trunk version of the weekly build
on Symbian, it's looking pretty similar to 2.0, apart from the fact that
SunSpider is a lot faster in the trunk due to the JIT.

How does that sound?

Simon