[webkit-qt] QtWebKit 2.0 and Qt 4.7

Jocelyn Turcotte jocelyn.turcotte at nokia.com
Wed Mar 10 04:28:35 PST 2010

On 3/10/2010 12:42 PM, Hausmann Simon (Nokia-D-Qt/Oslo) wrote:
> Strictly speaking by these rules QtWebKit 2.0 will become part of Qt 4.8.
> However if we want to - and I would really like to hear your opinions here -
> then we_do_  have the option of tying ourselves to Qt 4.7 and include QtWebKit
> 2.0 there.
>
> There are pros and cons for such a move. I'm going to list a few I can think
> of. Henry and others, please add any missing points.
>
> Pros:
>
>     * More widespread distribution of the release together with Qt 4.7.
>     * Free deployment - especially on the desktop platforms - as part of the Qt
> 4.7 binary packaging.
>      * More feedback by participating in the beta release cycles.
>
> Cons:
>
>     * We have to release at the same time as 4.7 comes out, or earlier. If
> we're late, then 4.7 becomes delayed, too.
>     * Increased pressure on us by adding another stakeholder (the Qt 4.7
> program).
>

> What do you guys think?

A point that might be worth noting:
If we decide not to tie QtWebKit 2.0 to Qt 4.7, then Qt 4.7 will use the
same version of QtWebKit that was shipped with Qt 4.6.

If users want the latest and greatest QtWebKit to use with Qt 4.7 they
will have to use a yet-to-determine mechanism that would upgrade the
headers and binaries of QtWebKit in their Qt SDK.

Jocelyn